Kenneth Grigg, piano, performs five spectacular concerts in an intimate setting. Mr. Grigg's unusual style emphasizes fluid virtuosity, beauty and variety of tone, and the aesthetic and emotional response of each listener in his audience All Mulberry Concerts are limited-seating events in our gracious Prairie Style home. Tickets include a post-concert wine and dessert reception. 1. Saturday, September 28, 2019, 7:45 PM: "Hommages/Liaisons"
Links to the past, and to the great art and artists of the past, have always been an essential part of creators. This recital features subtle and profound connections between composers, different historical periods, and widely variant styles of composition. The first half of the program includes:2. Sunday, November 24, 2019, 7:15 PM: "Music from the United States"
The second half of this program is all selected from Liaisons: Reimagining Sondheim From The Piano. Included are eight songs from Liaisons including:
- a group of Trois Hommages by Paul Dukas, Arthur Honegger, and Claude Debussy
- Edvard Grieg's Suite from Holberg's Time
- Samuel Barber's Nocturne (Homage to John Field) and
- Poul Rovsing-Olsen's Hommage a Chopin
(Order tickets to just this concert here.)
- "Send in the Clowns"
- "You Could Drive a Person Crazy" and
- "No One Is Alone"
The gargantuan emotional, aesthetic, and stylistic range of American music is nearly indescribable. This program includes:
- the Aaron Copland Piano Variations (considered epochal and completely unheard-of at the time of its composition)
- two songs by Mary Lou Williams
- the Three Preludes and Sonata of Charles Griffes